It is time to update my Anti-Spam robot for wordpress registration page. The hack presented here for spambots is still working for me but I’m getting a bunch of emails from peoples who can’t backup a file and insert a few lines in their register form. So, let’s cut to the chase: I’ve made a plugin that will insert the captcha (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) image automatically in the Login and/or Register page of your wordpress installation. And that is not all, you can play around with 5 different captcha algoritms and customize them the way you want. Hence, ocr geeks have managed to automatically read the image? no problem… change your captcha fonts, color, add some random lines or dots or switch to a different captcha algorithm and you are done.
You will find 5 captcha algorithms in this plugin:
(1) PNG-Raz MiXed Fonts : fully customizable
(2) JPG-Tiny Mini : a mini customizable captcha
(3) PNG-GOTCHA from Sol Toure
(4) PNG-phpBB3 8bit Grey from phpBB Group
(5) PNG-PNG-phpBB3 Advanced from phpBB Group
Just use the one you want or you can customize one just for your site. I’m using the PNG-GOTCHA, here is how it looks on my site : register or login. If the captcha alg will mess the image you can refresh/generate another one by clicking on it.
This plugin requires WordPress 2.x.x with PHP 4 (v4.3.0 or newer) and GD Library. GOTCHA alg requires the additional FreeType Library to be installed on your web host for loading the fonts. GD and FreeType Library are usually installed already on your host but if they are not just ask your web host to install them…
The plugin can be installed in 3 easy steps:
1. Download the plugin (see below).
2. Decompress the .zip archive into your plugins directory (/wp-content/plugins/) keeping zip folder structure intact
3. Enable the plugin in the WordPress Plugins admin page -> Raz-Captcha.
* Go to Options -> Raz-Captcha, adjust the options if necessary and save.
* That’s All! check your login and register pages
*You can find this plugin on WordPress.org as well (thank you wordpress!)
If you have the registration hack installed please restore wp-login.php from your backup or remove the “hacked” lines from wp-login. If you don’t, you will end up with two captcha checks on the registration page.
This plugin is work in progress, the first beta release, and any shouts from you are welcomed. Stay safe and clean